My (likely incriminating) blog about life of Evan, ultrarunning, training, adventure and misadventure, and my explorations in living simply.

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Evan's SUPER ULTRA SUMMER 2014 Plan

Well, here goes nothing. This is that time of year where I publicly post my overly-ambitious plans for the summer so that I'm accountable to someone besides myself. Cross your fingers and send good juju my way in hopes that I can stay healthy and injury-free so that I can execute half of these absurd, half-baked plans. If it all goes to plan, we shall call it ULTRA SUMMER! SUPER ULTRA SUMMER 2014!

The Schedge:

The Canyons 50k, May 3rd- REGISTERED, DEFINITE.
A brand-spankin' new 50k on part of the Western States 100 course starting in Foresthill. The canyon country there promises to make it awesome, not to mention the fact that it has 9,000 FEET OF VERTICAL GAIN. Stoke level high.

Moccasin Lake Challenge, May 24th- highly likely
Essentially an 18 mile hill climb starting in Ft. Washakie, WY, on the Wind River Reservation, and ends at the subalpine Moccasin Lake. Promises to be a great experience, and a great training run for the summer races to come.

Zion Traverse, June 2nd or 3rd- "fun run" (definite)
Super excited about this! Zion NP is amazing, and this route cuts right across the middle of it. I've wanted to do this since I first read about it on Jason Henrie's blog, and a couple visits to the park since then have only served to fuel the fire.

Zion NP with Spencer in 2012 after crewing a friend in the Zion 100
We are running in two groups, ladies going one direction, and dudes the other. I wouldn't call it an FKT attempt, but we plan to run hard...who knows! More than an FKT, I'd like to have a good time and really revel in the beauty of the place. 

Bighorn 100 miler, June 20th- waitlist
Fingers crossed, would love to run this one- it filled up early this year!

Skyline 50, July 12th- maybe
I literally just found this one, because apparently it is brand new this year! The course looks great, mountain ridgelines and such, along with a fair bit of off-trail running at high elevation. My cup of tea. Could be a little too close to Bighorn if I end up running 100 miles, but looks great. Will likely do either this race or:

Devil's Backbone 50 miler, July 19th- maybe
Rugged, uber-classic Montucky 50 miler. Seems tricky to get in to. Likely do this one or Skyline 50.

Ryan and Shaina's Wedding, Aug 2nd- DEFINITELY
Stoke level through the roof. Already afraid of what the Sunday long run is going to feel like with the mega-hangover that is inevitable following this celebration. 

Standhope 60k, August 9th- registered
Amber and I exploring some Idaho mountain ridgelines
Rugged mountain race near Ketchum, ID. Looks rad. Also planning a mini recovery vacation on or around Redfish Lake and the Sawtooths afterward.

John Muir Trail (through-hike), August 12th-ish- permits obtained, hopeful
A good group of amigos is planning to hit the JMT on August 9th in Yosemite, and planning to stroll off of Mt. Whitney sometime around August 22nd.
Photo from a segment of the JMT on my way to climb Ritter and Banner last year
I'm obviously running a 60k on the 9th, so as long as I can get away for nearly two weeks, I would plan to join them from another trailhead a few days in. Someone needed to do the booze-resupply anyway, right?!

The Rut 50k, September 13th- registered
Rugged Montucky mountain race, off trail running. Sky Running Championships. Ridiculously talented competition. I'm there. This is my A race for the year. I want to do well in all my events, but I will have an eye toward this race all summer.

Somewhere in there, there might be an attempt at a Wind River Traverse (80-100 miles?), and there will undoubtedly be some glorious long runs and adventures. I'm hoping to fill some weekends in the spring/early summer with some peak bagging and snow climbs. Hopefully some more peak bagging and backpacking interspersed through the summer and fall. Whatever happens, it promises to be great. I have to thank UltrAspire for their support- none of this would be possible without water, and they have some of the best products out there to keep you hydrated and carry your backcountry running essentials! All for now. Stay classy friends.

Seeya out there!
Evan

1 comment:

  1. Nice! Well, if you decide to do Zion Traverse 1 week later, I would totally join you. If that's an option, keep me posted...

    ReplyDelete